Monday, December 22, 2014

If I were To Rename Nigeria, I Would Like To Call Her Paranoia


A lot of us by now may have seen the new N100 notes that just got circulated this past Friday. What do you guys think of it? Personally, I think it’s the prettiest of all the naira notes we have as of now. May be the Federal Government and the Central Bank may have plans for the other denominations but that I doubt very much. I do know that the N100 was only printed in celebration of  the centenary. I make bold to say that these new bills could pass for an euro bill or a pound note. (You could argue in your bed).

 Amid all the excitements, I tell you some are seated in one corner getting all paraoid about how long this is going to stay before another note resurfaces. Are you kidding me? Why don’t we at least enjoy now and worry later

Today, I paid someone for the services they rendered, but of course from the new N100 bills and  tonight, she called to tell me that she went to the market and was refused to buy food. That the people she tried buying food from told her that the money isnt from Nigeria. At first I thought she exaggerated the gist a little, but then I found out that she was telling the truth. She was illiterate, and so were the people at the market. When I paid her for the services she had rendered me in the morning, was she blind to not have noticed what money was given to her? The currency says Central Bank of Nigeria. Shouldn’t they have known by now how to spell NIGERIA? I would be happy spending new notes, or for the sake of getting people's attention to make them ask for change from me. Don’t you guys think?

Everyone in this country is either paranoid about who is winining next year’s election, or whether their neighbor has been sent from their village to witch- haunt them. We get very worried over the littliest things and this bothers me.

 

1 comment:

  1. Goodness! That must be very frustrating! I think the new note is beautiful. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete